Sunday, May 4, 2008

Traffic rules - Are we really conscious of it?

Every day a question frustrates me. "When will this end? Is it nearby or there is no end to it?". The question relates to Bangalore traffic.My first visit to the Silicon City of India was in 2003. I came here to undergo Industrial Training as a part of my sixth semester engineering curriculum. I found it a very pleasant place due to its weather. Indeed it is. Now I have been settled in Bangalore for the last 46 months.I find the city changing day by day. The best part is the IT boom.The sad part is the drastic weather change and the worst part is the spiraling traffic.Traffic is increasing day by day. It adds to road congestion.People travel hours in buses and personal vehicles to reach office. A colleague once said that if this traffic mystery continues then he would have to spend half of his life in buses.

Even though new highways and roads are constructed, road congestion seems to be a burning problem.People break the traffic rules and take short cuts to reach office in a hurry which doesn't solve one's problem but poses more problems for others.Even though we complain about traffic jam, do we ever question ourselves that how difficult it is follow the rules? I guess that it doesn't take much pain to be disciplined. On one Sunday evening I read an article in Times Of India where the writer pointed out the similarity among New York, London and Bangalore. The lanes of these foreign cities are narrower than that of Bangalore.The number of vehicles are almost the same. But the difference lies in the sense of road discipline.In the same edition Kiran Majumdar Shaw, CEO of Biocon, expressed her discontent over the road indiscipline that we practise everyday.If we take the proper left and right turns we can allow others to be comfortable and thereby we can help to reduce the intensity of the problem.

Road accident is a common news in every newspaper in Bangalore. A little carelessness ends a life. People have enough sense to sort out this congestion problem. To realise it we just have to be disciplined , a lesson we learnt in school. We only have carry out the experiment in our daily life.

No comments: